Art on Exmoor since 1893

Devon Pottery : Watcombe Torquay Ware [Biography]

Watcombe Torquay Ware

Watcombe Torquay Ware

Watcombe Pottery
The dark red clay used in producing Torquay Pottery was rediscovered in 1869. This took place in the grounds at Watcombe House. Watcombe Pottery, as it eventually became known, found a ready market for its products. Torquay Terra-Cotta Co. was established in 1875.


Watcombe Pottery, originally known as The Watcombe or Torquay Terra-Cotta Clay Company, was started by G J Allen .

The company very quickly established a reputation and its wares were exhibited internationally within a few years. The pottery expanded rapidly, employing a vast work force by the end of the decade.

The company was bought by Evans & Co in 1884 after the death of Allen, and in 1901 was acquired by Hexter, Humpherson & Co, who amalgamated it with Aller Vale Pottery. The new pottery was known as Royal Aller Vale & Watcombe Co.
Some of the same decoration codes used by Watcombe and Aller Vale were now being used by Longpark. After different companies came into existence, Watcombe & Torquay Terra Cotta factories were finding it difficult to keep going with their traditional terracotta wares. Watcombe was able to continue until it was closed in 1962. In 1905 Torquay Terra-Cotta Company went out of business. The depression of the 30's followed by the War took its toll of the pottery companies.
Patterns were the Cottages, Cockerels, Scandy, and Ships; being found on 'Devon Motto Wares'. Art Pottery carries stylized flowers and foliage, gorgeous Daffodils, Scrolls in multi-colored slips & Kingfishers. Lavender Devon Violets are found on scent bottles. All patterns were hand painted!

Watcombe Torquay Ware

Watcombe Torquay Ware

Watcombe Pottery
The dark red clay used in producing Torquay Pottery was rediscovered in 1869. This took place in the grounds at Watcombe House. Watcombe Pottery, as it eventually became known, found a ready market for its products. Torquay Terra-Cotta Co. was established in 1875.


Watcombe Pottery, originally known as The Watcombe or Torquay Terra-Cotta Clay Company, was started by G J Allen .

The company very quickly established a reputation and its wares were exhibited internationally within a few years. The pottery expanded rapidly, employing a vast work force by the end of the decade.

The company was bought by Evans & Co in 1884 after the death of Allen, and in 1901 was acquired by Hexter, Humpherson & Co, who amalgamated it with Aller Vale Pottery. The new pottery was known as Royal Aller Vale & Watcombe Co.
Some of the same decoration codes used by Watcombe and Aller Vale were now being used by Longpark. After different companies came into existence, Watcombe & Torquay Terra Cotta factories were finding it difficult to keep going with their traditional terracotta wares. Watcombe was able to continue until it was closed in 1962. In 1905 Torquay Terra-Cotta Company went out of business. The depression of the 30's followed by the War took its toll of the pottery companies.
Patterns were the Cottages, Cockerels, Scandy, and Ships; being found on 'Devon Motto Wares'. Art Pottery carries stylized flowers and foliage, gorgeous Daffodils, Scrolls in multi-colored slips & Kingfishers. Lavender Devon Violets are found on scent bottles. All patterns were hand painted!

Where we are

Gunns Gallery,
11 Lee Road,
Lynton,
Devon,
EX35 6HW

Contact us

01598 753352

© Gunns Gallery 2020